Easter Dog Dangers

Happy Easter!

There’s nothing better than a 4 day weekend to indulge both you and your dog. But it can be a very dangerous time for dogs, as a Veterinary Nurse I see the results of pets being fed or accidentally ingesting poisons which are all too common around Easter. Of the ones I see, many pull through with the expert care of the vets and nurses, however, unfortunately there are ones who do not make it. Don’t let it be your pet by reading on for some common poisons to avoid.


All chocolate is poisonous, from white to dark. Chocolate is made from cocoa beans which contain the poison theobromine. Chocolate also contains caffeine. Both theobromine and caffeine cannot be broken down by dogs, making chocolate very harmful.

Chocolate poisoning affects the heart, central nervous system and the kidneys. Symptoms below can appear from 4 to 24 hours after eating the chocolate:

  • Vomiting or diarrhoea
  • Rapid breathing
  • Restlessness or hyperactivity
  • Tremors or incoordination
  • Increased heart rate

If you think your dog has eaten any amount of chocolate, regardless of type of chocolate, contact your vet immediately.

Hot Cross Buns

Grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas are poisonous ingredients of hot cross buns. There is no specific amount that is poisonous. Some dogs have eaten tiny amounts and have been seriously ill, whist others have eaten larger amounts and shown no symptoms. No matter the amount, you should contact your vet immediately if you believe your pet has eaten any.

They can cause irreversible kidney damage resulting in kidney failure if not treated early enough, this can be delayed by up to 3 days. Symptoms below can appear from 6 to 24 hours after eating the hot cross buns:

  • Vomiting or diarrhoea (possibly containing blood)
  • Lethargy
  • Abdominal pain
  • Increased salivation
  • Poor appetite
  • Weakness/wobbly when walking
  • Bloody urine

If you believe your dog has eaten any amount of hot cross buns, contact your vet immediately.

Spring Flowers

Daffodils and tulips are poisonous. They can cause problems if licked, vase water drunk or eating any part of the plant.

Daffodil symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Increased salivation
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness/wobbly when walking
  • Collapse
  • Seizures

Tulip symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Mouth irritation
  • Increased salivation
  • Difficultly breathing

What To Do If You Think Your Dog Has Eaten Poison?

If you think your dog has eaten, licked or touched any poisons, contact your vet immediately.

Remove any of the poison away from your dog immediately so they cannot contaminate themselves further.

Give the vet as much information as possible, what poison (keep the packaging and list of ingredients to show the vet), how much including weight (i.e 1 bite of a hot cross bun or 1 whole 200g chocolate egg), how long ago you think they were poisoned and if they have shown any clinical signs (i.e vomiting, fast breathing, muscle twitches etc.). If you still have the packaging, take this with you to the vet.

Do not try to make your dog sick as this can cause further problems if not done correctly.

Have a safe Easter!

Beth & Neville xx

Beth & Neville xx

Follow us on BlogLovin’, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

2 Replies to “Easter Dog Dangers”

  1. It’s hard to come by experienced people in this particular topic, however, you seem
    like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

    1. Thank you for visiting!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.